Had a great birthday! Got to speak to my parents in the morning and then had a really good day at work (my latest paper wasn’t rejected WITHOUT REVIEW until exactly 4 hours after the end of my birthday 😛 ). I came home to decorations on the house,
and a beautiful birthday dinner laid out for me.
After presents (gel manicure nail kit & smashbox eyeshadow palate from ‘rentals; maternity PJs, a maternity dress, a toaster and a waffle iron from da husband; sock money, eraser and key-chain from Sasha, Liam and Rachel respectively) there was of course: the return of the ‘A’ cake.
It was a perfect day.
I reflected that on my last child-free birthday (I hope) I am older but not much wiser… I know very little, but (in the words of The Guardian): this much I know:
1. Revenge is very tempting, pointing out people’s weaknesses with wide-eyed innocence and making them squirm just to appease my own feeling of being hard done by… but I always regret it.
2. Grace is much harder, and takes longer to reconcile peacefully as the right decision, within myself. But I have never regretted extending forgiveness in the long term.
3. Losing control of a situation is a failure: usually a sign of bad management and poor planning. Losing control of a person is not. People should be left to be free.
4. Jealousy holds me back and makes me unproductive; being inspired by where / who what I want to be is a springboard to greater things.
5. I have never regretted staying late to finish a project or task. I have regretted letting things slide.
6. I have never regretted sharing an idea. Ideas are like people: they should also be set free to find the sustenance to grow.
7. “I am so sorry, I must have got it wrong” has opened the most doors for me.
Not much… but a start…